Saturday, January 24, 2009

To Market, To Market

The end of this week marks the end of my first full week of classes, and I am liking them a lot so far. I also had my interview for my internship this semester and I am really excited about what I am going to be doing. I'll be working for the Dalí Universe, an art gallery located right next to the London Eye, that displays an impressive amount of work by the Spanish artist Salvador Dalí. The gallery houses the Mae West lips couch, which is a focal point in the larger gallery room. The gallery also sells some of the artist's works, as well as different works by Picasso... I was very impressed when I saw the pieces in the show room that they have for sale.

During my internship, I'll be working for the gallery's events department, although I will most likely get to work in a variety of departments around the gallery. The staff isn't very large, which excites me because that hopefully means I will be able to get to take on more responsibility. In the events department, we cater mostly to corporate clients, with rooms for cocktail hours, sit-down dinners, as well as meetings. The gallery provides a stunning back drop for any event with its black walls and large sculptures that are a great way to get people talking. Although we don't start our internships until the end of February, the interview has gotten me very excited for the second half of my semester.

After some successful and exciting interviews yesterday, three of my flatmates and I headed up to Camden to check out London's student scene. Camden is a really cool part of town, comparable, many say, to the East Village in New York. At night the area attracts a wide variety of young people into all different types of music.

We went to a club called KoKo, and stepped into a disco ball-light-drenched, pop/rock infused world. KoKo is an old theatre that has been converted into a club. The floor in front of the stage has been leveled out and turned into a dance floor, with each of the floors above remodeled into posh sitting areas for those who'd rather watch than dance. Hanging above the whole scene, instead of the dramatic chandeliers that adorn the ceilings of your standard theatre, is the largest disco ball that I have ever seen, possibly the largest disco ball in the city of London. The light it threw off bathed the entire venue in flecked, sparkling light.

Although we weren't huge fans of the bands that played, we really liked the music that the guest DJ's blasted in between sets. It was a great experience and we're going to keep our eyes peeled for a night with some bands that we know, or will enjoy a bit more.

Today, two of my flatmates and I ventured up to Notting Hill to experience the famous Portobello Road Market. The market takes over Portobello Road every Saturday and sellers hock their wares on the bustling street corners, with bands and buyers spilling out onto the streets. You can buy and sell just about anything here, in one stall I saw a collection of old fashioned Candlestick telephones. Although we didn't make it up to the market until after noon, there was still plenty going on in the area. We saw a wide collection of pocket watches, jewelry, china, and sterling sets tea sets, all jostling for space on the crowded sidewalk.

Portobello Road Market is also a great place to try out your haggling skills. I tried (and failed) to bargain with a jeweler for a gorgeous garnet ring. Although I managed to get him down to £15, from his original price of £18, it still wasn't quite cheap enough for me. It was an exciting experience that I would highly recommend. And, conveniently, after exhausting yourself by battling through the crowded streets, you can treat yourself to a delicious crepe, waffle, or even an American-style hot dog.

It's been another fun and busy week over here across the pond, and I am continually surprised by how many things that I have started adding to my Must-Do/See list. My flatmates and I have started to combat this by creating goals for the semester. Hopefully I'll hit all the places on the list, and keep you all posted on the exciting happenings here in London town!

No comments:

Post a Comment